Sunday, July 27, 2008

Of Good Report, 6 | Music

I've loved music from a very early age… mom even says that I danced before I walked. So it's no surprise that with school came jazz choir and stints in a couple musicals and that church brought Sunday morning choir practice… nor that I was the first in my school to listen to this or that group, or that much of my allowance went into vinyl. Music touches my mind and heart in a way that nothing else can.

Today, my iTunes library comprises nearly 6000 songs (all legal), and it continues to grow as I come across new artists. Below, I've selected a few artists / albums that I think are particularly interesting / talented / obscure…

Wikipedia Article | Album on iTunes

Andrew Bird | The Swimming Hour


Beirut | Gulag Orkestar


The Boy Least Likely To | The Best Party Ever


Dodos | Visiter


Hairspray | Soundtrack


The Innocence Mission | We Walked in Song


The Jayhawks | Rainy Day Music (Album Not on iTunes)


Kings of Convenience | Riot on an Empty Street


Koop | Koop Islands


Lhasa | La Llorona (Album Not on iTunes)


M. Ward | Transistor Radio


The Magnolia Electric Co | Trials & Errors


The Mollies (MySpace) | My Sentiments Have Just Begun
Local Salt Lake Band


Ray Lamontagne | 'Til the Sun Turns Black


Squirrel Nut Zippers | Hot!


They Might Be Giants | No!
One of my favorite albums for children, evah!


Vampire Weekend | Vampire Weekend (Here's a fun video.)
Heads-up: Light smattering of f-bombs.


Ojos de Brujo | Techari


Okkervil River | Black Sheep Boy


Ollabelle | Ollabelle


Once | Soundtrack


Over the Rhine | Snow Angels
Perhaps the best original Christmas music since the 50s.


Pink Martini | Sympathique


Pizzicato Five | Music Is Organized by Sound
Japanese Hipster Music


I hope you find something wonderful among these two dozen artists — something that inspires or delights you. Please let me know if you do.

And that's today's good report: music I love.

This post is part of a week-long series focusing on the good and praiseworthy in my life… please consider reading all seven: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

No comments: