Friday, July 25, 2008

Of Good Report, 5 | Flowers


Flowers. I meant to run over to Roots today, but got distracted. I'll have to stop in tomorrow, after Farmers Market.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for flowers… my childhood home had flower beds galore, and my (extremely) sensitive nose continues to find respite in their heady, organic scents. So I take the time to have cut flowers in my home. When I'm on a roll, I'll have fresh arrangements every other week (less frequently when I can pull long-lasting blooms from a wilting arrangement and repurpose them)… when I'm off my game, it's every other month. And it's worth the effort. The small bundles of beauty moderate my moods and bring sparkle to my home life… well worth the "pizza money" I'm foregoing.

I guess it's a matter of priorities. I spend money on things that are important to me: flowers, a maid, long-lasting shoes, books, my friends, and philanthropy. And I'm unapologetic. I've heard it said that one of the best tools for teaching our children what they should value is by our example in the management of our discretionary funds. If I had children, I'd be proud to let have them walk with me across the park to the little brick flower shop… they'd get a handful of Skittles from the candy jar on the counter while we waited for Rachel or one of her gals to work a little magic. Then we'd bounce back across the street with a fresh arrangement for our home.

* sigh *

Yeah… I'm definitely getting some flowers tomorrow.

Flowers are definitely something of good report.

This post is part of a week-long series focusing on the good and praiseworthy in my life… please consider reading all seven: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

6 comments:

Samantha said...

I completely agree.

Silus Grok said...

Hey Samantha!

It's been ages… hope you're well. Continue to enjoy your blog.

: )

Anonymous said...

Dan doesn't get this part of me. I NEED growing things. I love that you love them, too.

Silus Grok said...

You need a flower budget!

: )

Anonymous said...

Wow! We think alike when it comes to flowers, music, and farmers markets! All of which are very good! You would love my yard with flowers galore! From the hundreds of tulip bulbs in the spring to the fields of Zinnias in the Fall and those in between such as the Irises.

As for music, I bought very little. But I love listening to it. We have Ditital cable and there is Music Choice. I love searching around for songs that I like. I'm not sure if we have the same taste though music can move me like nothing else at times. I can't say I recognize a lot of the artists. I am way into mellow 70's music. I even enjoy watching infomericals by Time Life featuring blurbs of the songs. :) -Barb

Silus Grok said...

:)